Downingtown Country Club History
The Downingtown Country Club roots began as the Downingtown Motor Inn built in the early 1960’s. It was built on the former Ashbridge Farm by Tabas Enterprises in the late 1950’s. It was a grand resort featuring hotel rooms, 2 swimming pools, restaurants, ballrooms, and outdoor patios.
“Mickey Rooney Slept here” was a comment you often heard about the Motor Inn because Dan Tabas struck up a strong friendship with Mickey Rooney while touring Europe as part of the USO entertaining troops during the war. After building the Downingtown Motor Inn Dan Tabas enlisted Mickey Rooney to help attract visitors and his entertainment friends to the resort. Mickey Rooney brought stars such as Frank Gorshin, Robert Goulet, Mickey’s face and name adorned the buildings too. Many people believed Mickey owned the resort but he was just a figurehead who owned a few shares of the venture.
Today the site flourishes as The Downingtown Country Club. The golf course was designed by George Fazio between 1965 and 1967. George was a runner-up to Ben Hogan in the 1950 U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club, and the touring professional out of Pine Valley Golf Club for a number of years. He is also the uncle of modern course architect Tom Fazio.
Downingtown Country Club’s layout reflects many of the great features of classic Philadelphia golf courses. It features subtle greens, dramatically shaped bunkers, and open, gently rolling fairways. Downingtown Country Club also offers a pro shop, a full-service restaurant and bar, a short game practice area and a putting green. Downingtown Country Club features a 6,619 yard, par-72 golf course.